Building regulations for terraced housing
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
kbcs6dpm
Labourer
Labourer

Building regulations for terraced housing

by kbcs6dpm » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:13 pm

Hi all. I’ve got a quick question about building regulations. Basically, I live in a street with terraced housing. My neighbour is building a two storey rear extension. We’ve decided that we want to do the same, and have applied for planning permission.

I’ve noticed that the builders next door have drilled large holes in the side of the new extension for use as air vents (perhaps a kitchen/bathroom extractor), as well as some cabling coming out as well. They’ve also attached a rainwater drain pipe to the side, but that’s external only, so could easily be moved at a later date. If we build an extension, we would want to utilise as much space as possible, so the vents and cables would effectively be in our way!

So I was wondering where the law stands on this? I would have thought that building regulations state that you’re not allowed to have vents and cables protruding out of the side of an extension to a terraced building (in case someone else extends as well)?

I’m trying to contact the owner whilst they are currently doing the work, but would like to know what my rights are before I start ordering them to move vents to the back of their extension.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks a lot in advance.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Building regulations for terraced housing

by welsh brickie » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:55 pm

the owners would have submitted plans to the council for approval and any objections to the plans would have to have been made in writting before commencment.
Tell the builders your concerns if they are going to do the work for you ,its in their best interest to alter them now.

tony.g
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Building regulations for terraced housing

by tony.g » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:48 pm

Planning application drawings rarely show small details such as vents etc. Regardless of whether or not you commented on the application at the time, you need not let the presence of the vents prevent your own development proposals. It is a civil matter between you and your neighbour and nothing to do with the Council. Advise your neighbour that you intend building in the near future, and that they should make alternative arrangements for their vents, and which would not affect your property.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1