Bury Unused Dead Cabling in Wall
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
allyrege
Labourer
Labourer

Bury Unused Dead Cabling in Wall

by allyrege » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:08 pm

Hi,
I've just moved house - in the kitchen there was a single power cable in the middle of a wall which supplied a wall mounted TV. We wanted rid of it. I found where it's spurred onto - a socket on the same wall about a meter away. I disconnected it, tested again with a voltage tester and no current now going through at either end. I'm confident the cable is now dead, but I can't mobilise it to pull it out. Maybe it's stapled to a stud wall somewhere under the plaster? For now I've capped everything off at both ends, leaving the caps in the socket housing at the spur end, but my question is (now that I know the cable is wire is dead) whether it is safe to take the caps off (because there's not enough space to push the cables through with the caps attached) and push them through the socket housing and behind the wall? And at the opposite end is it safe to just bury the dead cable under filler or plaster?

Any advice much appreciated!

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Bury Unused Dead Cabling in Wall

by Mr White » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:49 pm

I would suggest you leave it as it is, and if within12 months time you really don't want another socket.............

I often wonder, does the OP ever pop back to see if they have a reply?

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:57 am