Busted toilet - refitting a new one...
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
gk141054
Labourer
Labourer

Busted toilet - refitting a new one...

by gk141054 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:33 pm

Hi guys, I was fitting some laminate flooring into my bathroom today... found it really difficult to getthe cut-outs round the toilet so unscrewed it, slid some paper underneath and drew round it for a template.

When I removed the paper, went to screw the toilet back down but over-tightened the screw and CRACK!!! the toilet base is now massively cracked - though luckily not into the bit where the water is...

My £60 flooring project is now going to cost lots more...

Have seen a £60 toilet in B&Q (top and bottom although only our bottom is broke) which isn't too bad.

I am now wondering how difficult it would be to fit? The one in B&Q has a slim top bit which I assume means that the holes won't match up...?

Does that mean I will have to get a plumber in? Any ideas on costs?

Cheers

M

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:25 pm

There is always a little "juggling" when you change a toilet, even if its the same kind. See our project called bathroom suite installation and this will give you a better idea of what to do. Its not a major job and most people manage it ok so take a look at the project then it will pay to take a look at the project called Cold Water cisterns tanks and valves and this will show you how a cistern works. Then when you have your new toilet you will be able to work out how the old oner comes out which of course will show you how to put the new one in. Any trouble just come back to the forum.

gk141054
Labourer
Labourer

by gk141054 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:19 pm

Thanks DIY Doctor...

I have just checked my current toilet and even though it has (what I assume is) an overflow pipe attached to the lower left hand side of the cistern, inside the toilet, the hole seems to be blanked off....

When I pressed down the ball cock to make the water level rise, it rises to the top of the plastic bits then trickles into the toilet somehow...

I assume this is a "built in overflow"?!?!

Do all new toilets have this?

If so, why have the put a seperate pipe in for the overflow and can I just remove the pipe without any bad effects? It currently goes into a false wall but I can't really remove the wall to get access to see where it goes as its tiled!!!

Help...?

Cheers

M

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:40 am

Many new toilets have the facilty for an internal overflow and you can buy the flushing kit which will allow you to overflow internally. The regulations changed a while back to allow this as it always used to be that the overflow had to be a "visible warning". WE suggest you visit your local plumbers merchantys to actually see how this works, Its very unlikey they will be more expensive than B&Q etc, the staff know what they are talking about and are usually happy to help with queries.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:39 pm