Buying a House - Does it need a re-wire?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
rootfm
Labourer
Labourer

Buying a House - Does it need a re-wire?

Post by rootfm » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:19 am

I am currently in the process of buying a Victorian house (built c.1890). I had a builder inspect for any damp problems etc, and while doing so he mentioned the electric consumer unit wasn’t ‘that’ modern and might need updating. He isn’t an electrician so couldn’t comment further…

I’ve done a bit of research and noted the tell-tale signs of a house needing a re-wire (i.e. old sockets, light switches, etc). All the sockets and switches are modern (including a pull-cord in the bathroom).

I’m therefore not sure if the wiring has been done previously and it’s just that the consumer unit wasn’t updated (is that plausible)? Or if the sockets etc have just been changed and the wiring is still old…?

Is there any way of finding out in the Deeds (or similar) of the house? Will there be a certificate somewhere? The previous owner was only there 3 years and doesn’t know when it was last checked. The house has been maintained well and is in good condition, I’m just not sure how I would check this without getting a spark round to inspect, which is difficult when we have yet to complete the purchase.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Rich

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:47 pm

Hi, although there has always been a requirement for issueing certs for electrical work it was rarely done before 2000 so unlikely to be any records & deff. not with deeds.
last owner 3 years so before part p took any hold, so again unlikely to have any records.
You say builder has had a look, why not get an electrician to'have a look',
not full report just in fuse board and maybe loft and a switch and socket, with current problems of sales owner unlikely to object!
I am going to do exactly that tomorrow for local purchaser. £40.00 J.D.
If much work needed good bargaining power!
regards Sparx

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:00 am