CABLE CONFUSION
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
splinter
Labourer
Labourer

CABLE CONFUSION

by splinter » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:25 pm

hi every one. newby on board.

im working on my partners garage conversion into a granny flat and doing the electrics at the moment. im a joiner by the way.

the feed is coming from armoured cable via consumer unit from the house, rcd protected 32B cartridge which originally fed the garage 2 way consumer unit. there is going to be a shower fitted 9.5kw 10mm2 cable. i realised this wont work as the shower cable is thicker than the armoured cable feed. seems im going to have to change the armoured cable to a higher rating, what do i do? theres not a spare fuse way in the house consumer unit, and what size cable should it be? HEEELP!!!

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:10 am

hi splinter,
You need to Up your fuse rating at Main CU, so the load in garage can be feed safely, so you need to find out what the maximum demand for garage is going to, so you can then figure out the fuse size for main CU and then calculate your cable size taking an factors in to consideration.
This notifiable work and should be done be registered electrician, it will need Electrical installation certs and schedules of inspection and test.
Not a job for a chippy!
KB

the mole
Labourer
Labourer

Re: CABLE CONFUSION

by the mole » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:57 pm

[quote="splinter"]hi every one. newby on board.

im working on my partners garage conversion into a granny flat and doing the electrics at the moment. im a joiner by the way.

the feed is coming from armoured cable via consumer unit from the house, rcd protected 32B cartridge which originally fed the garage 2 way consumer unit. there is going to be a shower fitted 9.5kw 10mm2 cable. i realised this wont work as the shower cable is thicker than the armoured cable feed. seems im going to have to change the armoured cable to a higher rating, what do i do? theres not a spare fuse way in the house consumer unit, and what size cable should it be? HEEELP!!![/quote]

Hello - you should seek Building Control advice and if it is a completely new circuit needs to be done by a qualified electrician - they will guide you. If you don't and there is a problem (fire for example) you will have invalidated your home insurance policy. As for the consumer unit, an extra dedicated unit can be fitted.

splinter
Labourer
Labourer

oh dear

by splinter » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:49 am

thanks for advice guys. best get a spark in then as its getting too involved! cheers. great site!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:17 pm