DIY Doctor

Main navigation

cable required for a hob

Postby jay » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:09 pm

Can you tell me if i need 10mm flat twin and earth for my new hob and built in cooker, they will be on seperate cables and switchers, or do i need just 10mm on the built in cooker? The kitchen is being rewired.
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:03 pm


Simply Build It

Postby Jeffmo » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:48 pm

Hi , I would say in my humble opinion that depending on the cooker output ,then 6mm cable would be enough. Check your wattage of hob . make sure your mcb or fuse is correct .. Oh by the way kitchens and bathroms fall into a special category now , so make sure you are aware of the rules .. Cheers Jeff
Rank: Ganger
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 103
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:22 am

Postby sparx » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:57 pm

why do you need to know? the part p leckie should know as he will need to register the job & issue test certs. etc
for information, oven probably only needs 13A skt
hob is main load and may only need 6mm, depending on it's load allowing for some diversity, length of run from con. unit etc, again a proper sparkie will know.
regards Sparx
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 2166
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:33 pm
Location: The fifth continent.

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics