cabling in stone walls
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
frenchy
Labourer
Labourer

cabling in stone walls

by frenchy » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:03 am

I am running cable to wall lights in an old stone wall. The stone is irregular but with reasonably wide joints (currently pointed up).

The gaps are not wide enough to take conduit or capping but will take the cable (1.5 T&E).

Chasing out the usual 90 degree straight line is obviously not an option, neither is surface trunking.

Am I OK to chase out the most convenient path for the wire in the joints between the stones and then point up over the top?

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:01 pm

Hi, been done that way many times before, not recommended unless you can use a screened cable such as firetuf, fp100 or one of the flexible screened cables sold for thin stud walled mobile homes ect.
regards
SPARX

frenchy
Labourer
Labourer

by frenchy » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:55 pm

Thanks Sparx

Any chance of a link to a supplier or more information on the screened cables.

Googling the terms "firetuf" and "flexible screened cable" is only getting me coax data cables for fire alarm systems or audio cables respectively. None of the hits look like twin and earth

Are you saying that these are what I should use to connect the wall lights it ?

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:27 am

Hi, Sorry for butting in but if your looking for cable try the TLC electrical supplies website they are really good as is SPARX keep with him.
KB

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:57 pm

Thanx KB,
Frenchy, Firetuf/fp100, these are not coax data cables only they are rated for mains as well! and we use them for emergency lighting, etc. but they can be easily 'kinked' but there are flexy versions such as SY-multiflex type which may do the job, as in cat. of QVS.direct or others similar,
ideally of course would be pyro/mics if you have the means to connect it
regards
SPARX

frenchy
Labourer
Labourer

by frenchy » Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:48 am

Many thanks KB and Sparx
I feel I now have enough info to buy the cable and give it a try.
Cheers

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:44 am