DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Can a combi-boiler flue be re-routed?

Postby girlfixit » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:55 pm

I have a Vailant combi boiler, 20 years old, works very well. It is mounted on the wall in my galley kitchen (long and narrow) and the flue goes up the chimney breast which is in the wall - and on the other side is the living room and the fireplace.

I would like to use the fireplace and have a wood burner fitted. I've had a chimney sweep in, but in my old house the chimney is two narrow for 2 flues. So the gas one has to come out.

I am hoping the flue for the boiler could be re-routed - so it would run along the length of the wall and go out the window at the top near the ceiling or out of the wall in my larder space.

I had British Gas around to look at it all, and they said I could get a new condensing boiler fitted, but because the flue emits water (condensation) I couldn't put it where the current boiler is as it's too far from the wall and the water would run back into the system. They wanted to put it in the larder space.

My question is - can the flue for the current boiler be re-routed? I can see two options - run it straight along the wall up by the ceiling and out of a window which is also at the top of the room, or have the flue turn a corner into the larder space and out of the wall.

It's hard without drawing a picture, but I shall try:

window above door........................shelves...................boiler
door..... larder...................................shelves...................boiler

As you look at the words above, the door is on the left and opens out left to the side return of the flat. So I'm facing the larder, boiler to my far right, cooker behind me.

Now see above where it says larder? Inside the larder is just plain wall to the left but my fridge sits in there. I'm hoping the flue could run along the ceiling, left above the shelves, turn right into the larder space then left along the back of the larder and then out of the wall. THere is room but I don't know whether flues can turn corners :) If they can't, can they go ot of a window?

Any advice much appreciated.

Best wishes.
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:37 pm


Simply Build It

Postby htg engineer » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:09 pm

As i've said before all BG want is to sell boilers, they look for any opportunity to do so. Get a local Heating Engineer in to have a look and they should be able to give you the options.

Check your manufacturers instructions - they will tell you the maximum flue length you can have. As for the condensate, when boilers are installed the flue should fall slightly away from the boiler so that water cannot get into the boiler. On condensing boilers it should rise slightly so that the condensate does run back into the boiler.

Not sure what you mean by can they go out of a window ? A boiler flue has to be rigid and permanent situated away from opening windows, hope this helps.

Get a Heating Engineer to take a look.
htg engineer
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 3256
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 5:22 pm

Postby girlfixit » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:48 am

Thank you. Can anyone recommend a good heating engineer in Walthamstow area, London E17?

Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:37 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics