DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Can a qualified electrician work on my old electrics

Postby Vince Meakins » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:05 am

I’m about to buy a house that is nicely modernised apart from it having an old style fuse box and electrics that have been added to over the years. Once purchased, should a fault arise anywhere in the electrical circuitry can a qualified electrician work on the existing set up or would he have to insist the fuse box is upgraded first? Can I call upon a qualified electrician to extend any of the existing electrics without updating the fuse box?

Many thanks to all you all.
Vince Meakins
Rank: Apprentice
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:35 pm


Simply Build It

Postby ericmark » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:28 pm

Only new bits have to comply there is no need to upgrade the old but that will mean very hard to add an extra socket. Since cable buried in a wall needs to be RCD protected to add a socket to non RCD circuit means either special cable Ali tube and a RCD socket or a RCD fused connection unit where you take the supply from. So it becomes more expensive to add anything.

Also it must still comply with old edition of regulations and sometimes old houses have lost earths or even not been wired right in first place so you could get caught out.
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 2674
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:49 pm
Location: Llanfair Caereinion, Mid Wales.

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics