can i conect a 3 core cable to a 2 core cable?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
owen_werakso
Labourer
Labourer

can i conect a 3 core cable to a 2 core cable?

by owen_werakso » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:54 am

hi there, i am new to this diy game and and having a problem conecting my kitchen extractor to the mains supply.

i understand that wire colours have changed but i am not sure if i can coneect a 2 core cable to the 3 core cable on the mains supply.

i have a Blue Red and Yellow cable that i am trying to connect to the 2 core Brown and Blue cable from the extractor fan.

what wires do i conect together and will i have a lose/spare wire on the 3 core cable?

cheers

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:12 am

Often extractor fans have a trigger supply and line supply and the latter allows to fan to run on after the trigger is removed. However blue is neutral and brown is line (was black and red) and any other colours should be sleeved to those colours or have a number ID. In practice this is rarely the case but there is of course no standard colour when the rules are broken (even when near everyone breaks them) so sorry you need to have noted what they were connected to or check at source or test them.

Also is it the right type of fan. Part F (I think) stipulates when run on is required and how much air must be moved.

Likely you will need to fold back one wire and tape out of harms way or put into a crimp etc. But much depends on exactly how they are terminated.

May be easier to select a forum which allows pictures.

moggy1968
Ganger
Ganger

by moggy1968 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:01 pm

also, unless this is a like for like replacement (which it doesn't sound like) then this is notifiable work under part p and should be done by a suitably qualified and registered electrician.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:11 am