Can i run cable across the floor?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mowgs
Labourer
Labourer

Can i run cable across the floor?

by mowgs » Wed May 02, 2007 4:58 pm

Hi, my first post on the site.

Im looking at extending a ring main, as per the project on this site. There is a distance of about 5m between the existing socket, and where i would like to add a new one, including a doorway in the way.

Where can i run the cable?

The easiest route is down from the existing socket, along the edge of the carpet, across the doorway and up to the new socket. I have boxing to protect radiator pipes that i can hide the cable in - is this ok?

Am i allowed to do this? im a bit worried about having the cable under flooring on a walkway? Can i protect it or will i have to chase into the floor (concrete floors)

i will eventually be having solid wood flooring, how will having the cable alongside the wall affect the expansion gap?

Sorry for all the questions, especially for my first post!

thanks

Keith

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Wed May 02, 2007 8:16 pm

Hi Keith, difficult to visualise but will try,
if you are coming from a socket that is on the ring, ie not a spur then you can run a 2.5 tw/e spur so only one cable to run, there are so called 'safe zones' where it is considered ok to run cables, these are within 150mm of a corner, top (cove area) , bottom (skirting area) , around door frames & in a direct vert.or horiz. between wiring accessories, so in your case you could go directly down to skirting, along wall in boxing or skirting trunking sold for the purpose (as long as seperated from other services/pipes by 50mm or by divider).doorway is a problem you could use mini trunking around or chase across floor BUT if you do this regs require earthed metal protective coveringover cable (difficult to do), or you could chase in around frame but may weaken frame fixing, sorry no straight answer, Leckies have to make these judgements all the time & it never is easy, regards SPARX

mowgs
Labourer
Labourer

Thanks!

by mowgs » Thu May 03, 2007 11:18 pm

Thanks sparx, reply in other post, sorry for the duplicate!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:23 pm