Can i run Cable along floor?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mowgs
Labourer
Labourer

Can i run Cable along floor?

by mowgs » Wed May 02, 2007 3:37 pm

Hi, new to the site, im adding a socket to an existing ring main on the ground floor. the new socket is approx 5m from the nearest socket and there is a doorway in between.

Where can i run the cable? the easy route is from the existing socket, down the wall and along the edge of the floor, across the door way, and up to where i would like the new socket.

Can i actually do this? im a bit worried about having the cable underfoot across the doorway, is there a way of protecting it, or do you have to chase into the floor? (concrete floor)

I will be having solid wood flooring eventually, if i run the cable along the edge of the flooring, will this affect the expansion gap?

sorry for all the questions on my first post!

thanks

Keith

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Thu May 03, 2007 8:27 pm

Hi Keith, I thought I had answered this ? yesterday but it seems not to have made it so here goes agn.

Assuming your nearest socket is on ring (IE 2 cables & not a spur already) then you can run a single 2.5 mm.twin/e to your new socket, you must run in 'safe zones' so this means vert. down to within 150 mm of floor, then along to door way then either around doorframe in mini truncking or chased in (which may loosen frame) , then along skirting to below new skt. position , up to skt.
or at doorway you could bury cable in chase but must be covered by 'earthed metal covering' difficult to do. there are proprietory 'skirting trunkings' available to cover cables.
Another way would be to go up from original skt to ceiling corner and run along in 150mm 'safe zone' covered by coving and down to new position, agn. purpose made cove trunking now sold in 'sheds
regards, SPARX'

mowgs
Labourer
Labourer

Thanks!

by mowgs » Thu May 03, 2007 11:16 pm

Hi, you probably did answer this, i didnt realise that the posts are moderated before being posted, so i seem to have posted twice!

thanks for the reply, after reading various regs etc, i have gone for chasing up to ceiling level and running along the 'safe route' along the top of the wall/ceiling area. 'tis a long way round, but seems to be the one that will satisfy the regs the best.

This misses the doorway completely (chased in above) and stops that headache, but saves chasing in to the floorway or around the door.

thanks for the heads up on the coving trunking, didnt realise it was available, makes life alot easier!

thanks again

Keith

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:30 pm