DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Can I run cables in my kitchen for a spark to terminate?

Postby jdwood » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:27 pm

Hey guys,

Recently got the keys to my first house so before I move in, im getting everything just as I want it! I am going to be having downlighters in most rooms including the kitchen.

A bit of background about myself, I have an NVQ3 in installation and commisionning of electrical/electronic equipment but no specific electrical qualifications. I would consider myself to be competent and did a practical unit in my NVQ2 for electical circuits (lighting circuits, rings etc).

To save myself a fair bit of money, if I were to mark out, cut the holes and then run the cable in place for the downlighters in the kitchen, would this be against Part P regulations? I would get a qualified sparky in to do the actual terminating and connection to the original lighting circuit and to notify the necessary bodies once the work had been completed.

So the question is, am I allowed to run the cable in, as long as I dont terminate it?

Just to add, it is a new building and there is no insulation between floors so fitting downlighters shouldnt be a problem. I will be using sealed unit mains downlighters with aluminium reflector bulbs.

Oh, and finally, I am running ceiling speakers into the kitchen, would these be included in Part P regs? The amplifier for them will be in a different room.

Many thanks

Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:19 pm


Simply Build It

Postby ericmark » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:21 am

Because you have some qualification's it is not black and white and you need to read Part P yourself there is a link in projects area. You may be skilled but not so sure on competent that needs practical skills and experience where as skilled talks of technical knowledge and only enough experience to avoid dangers. Competent person is normally considered to hold at least a C&G 2391 and to have been in the trade some time. It is not what you consider yourself it is what the regulations would consider you as.

The regulations both electrical and building restrict what you are allowed to do. Part L1B and Part M will also control what you may or may not do. I think you may have problems with Part L1B when fitting down lighters.

Once you down load and read Part P you will see how there can be three signatures for an installation.


If the electrician does not control the first two he can't sign for them, so you must have the qualifications required by building control to complete the first two. Also an electrician would not be able to use the registration system when the first two are not done under the system so you would need to inform building control before work started and pay their fee.

I would advise you find an electrician first and see if he will agree to you doing any of the work for him. But there have been so many problems where house holders have not followed electricians instructions in the past most will not enter into this sort of arrangement.

I think you will find it is all or nothing. Yes you can run cables in, but as to if any electrician would then use them is another question.

You also say "aluminium reflector bulbs" without getting out all paper work are those the ones which allow heat to pass through and only reflect light? I would be a little careful with that type. They could overheat the space between beams and also L1B will be harder to satisfy.

Sorry to be a little bit of a wet blanket but better to realize before you start than after. You may get others that will also reply but nothing like DIY so do follow links and read the docs yourself. It is not only the physical bit you need to DIY it is also the paperwork bit.

All best Eric

Postby jdwood » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:54 am

Thats great Eric, thanks for taking the time for such a lengthy reply!

I will check out the regs now. I have an electrician friend who was going to help anyway, but he is not Part P registered.

The aluminium reflector lamps are the ones which project both light and heat down into the room (almost all of the heat). It is the diochoric (sp?) lamps that you mention which allow the heat through the back of the lamp.

Thanks again

Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:19 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics