Can i use an earth rod
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
remelad
Tradesman
Tradesman

Can i use an earth rod

by remelad » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:10 pm

In my house i have no earth, so some time ago i installed an earth rod. The other day i went into my neighbours and noticed that they had a TN-S earthing arrangement, so i knocked at another neighbours and they also had a TN-S system. Can someone correct me, but i thought we should all have the same earthing system,especially as one of my neighbours in take is fed via the intake from my property

All help greatly recieved
Remelad

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:32 am

You are correct. Properties in close proximity and from same transformer should have same earthing system. You need to ring you DNO (supplier not billing agent) and ask them what earthing system you should have. It is their call not yours. Don't tell them what you have let them tell you. Behave dum. Likely they will send some one to check. When he arrives point out next door is TN-C-S and likely he will make yours a TN-C-S.

There is work in progress and this is their excuse when they find two adjoining houses are different.

You do not need to remove earth rod. It just changes name. It becomes an Extraneous-conductive-part it does not need to be disconnected in any way.

remelad
Tradesman
Tradesman

by remelad » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:47 pm

Thanks ericmark,
i thought that was the case.I find the DNO very difficult to talk to,all they do is pass you from pillar to post. I also have a metal cut out where the company fuse is,this also is not correct as far as i know. Time to kil two birds with one stone.
Once again thankyou

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:22 pm