Can I use underground conduit for wires to shed & sauna?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
reggieroo
Apprentice
Apprentice

Can I use underground conduit for wires to shed & sauna?

by reggieroo » Sat May 30, 2009 12:06 pm

Hi, I've just had a log cabin built & just put up a shed & sauna. I want to run the cabling from the cabin to the sauna & shed so I have some electric.

I bought some 20mm conduit from Wickes to put the cables in but I have been told by two people that I have to use armoured cable underground & not conduit.

I'm planning on getting a electrician to come in & certify the work but as I've never done it before & want to make sure I get it right first time as I don't want to have to do it again. I'm going to be putting decking over where the cable is to be laid so won't want to be taking that back up.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sat May 30, 2009 10:30 pm

reggieroo,
Yes you must use armoured cable.
end

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:57 pm

Hi, not only must it be SWA cable YOU CANNOT put it in yourself and get some mug to certify it afterwards!!!!!
Building regs 'Part P1ss' allow 2 ways of doing this work,
either pay them a fee first, DIY, then they get it certified, OR use a registered leckie to do the whole job & self certify it.
He will be happy of course for you to dig the trench!
It is not allowable for some one to register work they have not done themselves since they sign to say they have done the whole installation .
ANY work outside the main dwelling is covered by same regs so the sauna etc is also notifiable,
regards Sparx

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:00 am