Can I wire an extractor to the light fitting and not the light switch?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Browne
Labourer
Labourer

Can I wire an extractor to the light fitting and not the light switch?

by Browne » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:13 pm

I've made an ensuite, but did not consider an extractor fan at the time of making. So the light switch is in the wall - one side is tiled and the other is freshly plastered and painted. Feeding the wire down the cavity to the light switch isn't really an option due to the stud cross beams and insulation.

Now I want an extractor at the same time I put some down lights in, which I'll daisy chain.

If I still use a fan isolator switch, can I wire the switch to the last downlight fitting in the daisy chain?

So the wiring would be: fan - isolator switch - final light in daisy chain rather than: fan - isolator switch - light switch.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Can I wire an extractor to the light fitting and not the light switch?

by Mr White » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:13 pm

You will need to connect the fan to the switch (So it knows when to start) but you connect it at the light end, not the switch end. You would then take this cable to the fan isolator, then to the fan.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Can I wire an extractor to the light fitting and not the light switch?

by ericmark » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:13 am

You can only connect as the ceiling rose end, as at the switch normally no neutral, so three core and earth to fan, one wire neutral, one switch line and one always line.

From your description last wire may be a problem. May need to be connected to first not last light as likely the first one is where ceiling rose was so there will be a permanent line wire.

The fan isolator is a good idea so if fan fails it can be switched off.

Remember rules with showers means lights must be RCD protected and no socket within 3 meters of shower and of course socket also RCD protected.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:17 am