Can strong wind blow open a upvc window locked open?
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
user54
Labourer
Labourer

Can strong wind blow open a upvc window locked open?

by user54 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:10 pm

hi all,

I keep the upvc window in my kitchen locked in its slightly open position (5-10mm) until it's properly winter. this morning I came down to find it open a couple of inches. at first I thought the worst and that it had been forced open by someone. however there is no sign of that or damage or scuff marks. the window still functions as expected. I've been a bit flummoxed. there have been some strong winds, gusts up to 45mph. could this have opened it from its locked open position? I've seen some mentions of this sort of thing upon googling, but nothing specifically mentioning blowing open from a locked open position?

Gary.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Can strong wind blow open a upvc window locked open?

by stoneyboy » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:30 pm

Hi user54,
Lock the window in the night vent position and try pushing it open if it does open then: Open the window and turn handle to locked position, go outside and look to see how much the lock lever engages with the lock plate. You may have to adjust the lock plate.
Regards S

GlazingInsider
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Can strong wind blow open a upvc window locked open?

by GlazingInsider » Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:00 pm

Hi user54,

If the vent is locked in the night vent position then no, but as stoneyboy says test the lock position, sometimes you can just slightly miss the vent lock. If there is no lock vent feature then yes the wind can blow the window open unless you friction stay hinges are adjusted so they hardly move.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:26 pm