Can't fit basin pop-up waste through countertop
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
PeteP
Apprentice
Apprentice

Can't fit basin pop-up waste through countertop

Post by PeteP » Sun May 17, 2009 7:59 pm

I've bought a monobloc tap that came with a pop-up mechanism. This was to be fitted to a basin that sits on top of (not part recessed into) a granite countertop. The basin has an internal overflow so the waste has to be slotted.

The problem is that the top half of the waste only reaches part way through the basin and countertop, and the bottom half can't meet it up the way because the branch for the pop-up mechanism sticks out too far to fit through the countertop hole.

I guess there are different types of waste so I'm not too surprised that this doesn't work, but my problem is that I can't find any other sort that is made for this situation. It's not anything unusual: a basin sitting on a coutertop.

The only solution that comes to mind is to buy a cheap plastic waste and cut a section of the tube to act as an extension. I just think that tere must be a genuine item available.

Help!

cueball
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by cueball » Mon May 18, 2009 1:26 pm

PeteP
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by PeteP » Mon May 18, 2009 8:11 pm

Thanks [b]cueball [/b], but that's one of the options that I've already tried. I spent half an hour in B&Q this morning looking at all of their options. Screwfix were even more limited (but I've found that to be ever more the case lately).

The problem with the trap adaptor option is that I still need to secure the top part of the waste to the basin with a seal between. The extention gives me the length I need but not the seal.

I bought a plastic waste fitting with a longer neck but the thread on the top part of the existing waste is too large to screw in.

This is really doing my head in because I'm not trying to do anything fancy: the basin has a flat base for sitting on top of the counter and the holes are predrilled to suit.

I bought the monobloc tap seperately, which came with a lever type pop-up waste, so I think it might just be the case that this arrangement can't handle that type of pop-up. I might have to throw it away and settle for a spring pop-up type. I don't want to do that as it detracts from the sleek design that we now have.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:57 pm