Can't open double glazed window
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Boscodog
Labourer
Labourer

Can't open double glazed window

Post by Boscodog » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:15 pm

Hello

The double glazed window in our bathroom has suddenly stopped opening - the lock works and the handle turns but the window doesn't open (it used to work ok). When I turn the handle and put a bit of force on it to push it open it seems like the door is free at the top but still retained at the bottom.
Compared with the other windows in the house it feels like the handle isn't moving the catches - it turns more freely than the others (I don't remember it being like this before).

The handle is the type where the lock is on the handle itself and, looking at the other windows in the house, there seems to be top and bottom catches and two or three side catches that are operated by the handle.

Is there any way I can fix this or do I need a new window?
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks

derv
Labourer
Labourer

Post by derv » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:23 am

the bottom shoot bolt has probably become detachted from the gear box (where the handle screws into) if you are lucky, with the handle in the open posistion 'bump' the window with your palm near the top, and it might pull it open.(sometimes this works better with the window de-glazed) once its open take the hndle off and unscrew the locking mechanisn down the side, re-attattch the shoot bolt into the gearbox, i usually use a bit of lock-tite to stop it happening again, reassemble and reglaze. hope this helps!

gazza44
Labourer
Labourer

Post by gazza44 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:41 am

Derv, I have the same problem. I am planning to deglaze. Do you have any other tips rather then just "bump". The shootbolt at the bottom I know for a fact isn't quite catching the locking mechanism in the centre. I didn't know if there was some sort of bended tool that can be used to try and just catch the bottom of the shootbolt.

The only other way that I can think is to deglaze totally and just force it with a crowbar.

gazza44
Labourer
Labourer

Post by gazza44 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:54 am

I have the same problem. I know that the bottom shootbolt isn't coming out of the locking keep. Is there any other tips rather then just bump the top of the sash. I am planning to deglaze the whole window. The style of the the window is s/hungnext to a top hung over fixed. The problem is with the side hung opener.

As a last resort I may have to use a wrecking bar and try and force the sash up but I dont know if there is enough clearance to be able to do it. I suppose it is just try and try again until it releases.

Any other tips would be greatly recieved.

derv
Labourer
Labourer

Post by derv » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:53 am

only other way i have freed the windows (with minimal damage) is to de-glaze the window then drill through the profile of the opener, so u can see the slide bar in the locking mechanism and lever it with a screwdriver. once it is freed and fixed, the glass will cover the hole you have just drilled, so no need to worry there, but this is a trickier method of getting this windows open.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:39 pm