Can we get a combi boiler but keep the old radiators?
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Hollybelle
Labourer
Labourer

Can we get a combi boiler but keep the old radiators?

by Hollybelle » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:23 pm

When we moved into our house 2 years ago, we had planned to get an extension and have all the other remedial work, including new boiler, radiators and pipework, done all at the same time.

Personal and financial circumstances have changed and we're not able to commit to any big projects in the near future. However, we would like at least to get a new bathroom suite installed so we have one decent room! We had planned to get a combi boiler, thus allowing us to get rid of the cylinder in the bathroom. The bath is currently underneath the window and we can't have an overbath shower fitted unless its moved to the wall where the cylinder is.

The radiators look old but work fine at present. They are mainly single panel with microbore pipework. The boiler is currently in an outhouse. Ideally, we'd have moved this into the new kitchen extension.

I know it's not ideal, but is it feasible to just replace our boiler for a combi in the outhouse - or we could just about live with it mounted high in the bathroom?

Basically, can old radiators and microbore pipework cope with combis?

I don't think we could stretch to a complete new heating system for at least a couple of years!

Many thanks

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:16 pm

It's a chance you can take but there are some risks.

Changing to a pressurised system - basically the pipes and radiators may not be able to cope with it and may start to leak.

If you want to give it a try - I would at the very very least - change the radiator valves.

htg

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1