Can you Extend an Extension Without Knocking Down the Original?
Information, help and advice on many architecture, self build and design problems and issues

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
digitalmoe
Labourer
Labourer

Can you Extend an Extension Without Knocking Down the Original?

Post by digitalmoe » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:17 pm

Hello...this is my first post.

I have a end terrace house which currently has a 3 meter rear extension...I have contacted the local authority and asked them if I would be able to extend it another 3 meters to make it a full 6 meter rear extension...the LA advised I could and this would fall into permitted development if carried out by March (or so) 2019.

What I would like to know is...is it possible to extend an existing extension without demolishing it and starting again? ...I just want to make the the rear extension longer...currently it has a flat roof and I would prefer to have either a pitched roof with skylights with a flat roof with lanterns.

...would it be the case of knocking down the rear wall/windows and just extending on from the current structure? ...any help would be appreciated so I can plan for the build and factor in the costs etc.

Property is in London.

Thank you.

michaelscad
Tradesman
Tradesman

Re: Can you Extend an Extension Without Knocking Down the Original?

Post by michaelscad » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:09 pm

if you posted more details perhaps i may be able to help, remember you're
probably only going do this once so think about maximising the project
i've got plans and a project management spreadsheet for period terraced rebuild

ronan01
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Can you Extend an Extension Without Knocking Down the Original?

Post by ronan01 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:47 pm

Yes, it is possible to extend like you said but it would be advisable to take professional building contractor's help or an architect. As for building extensions, you will need a party wall agreement if you have a neighbouring wall attached to your property.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:52 am