can you fix poly/insulated plasterboard using dot & dab
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
arsenalred
Labourer
Labourer

can you fix poly/insulated plasterboard using dot & dab

Post by arsenalred » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:08 pm

i want to insulate a couple a walls in my bedroom to which wardrobes will be fitted to stop cold spots in the wardrobes, with 25mm polystyrene backed plasterboard can i use dot & dab,could there be condensation problems ?
Thanks Neil

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:17 pm

arsenalred,
"can i use dot & dab,could there be condensation problems" YES and YES. Additional mechanical fixings are recommended for D&D with insulated boards. Whether there will condensation problems will depend on wall construction and type, how you live in the bedroom and how you live in the house.
end

arsenalred
Labourer
Labourer

Post by arsenalred » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:26 pm

stoneyboy wrote:arsenalred,
"can i use dot & dab,could there be condensation problems" YES and YES. Additional mechanical fixings are recommended for D&D with insulated boards. Whether there will condensation problems will depend on wall construction and type, how you live in the bedroom and how you live in the house.
end

Thanks its a 9inch solid brick wall in my bedroom which has double glazing and is centrally heated, at the moment there are no condensation problems in this room. it just that in another room on the same side (outside wall) the wardrobe gets quiet cold & i just was trying to avoid this as i am having fitted wardrobes installed soon, and thought i might as well insulate the walls behind the wardrobes . Kind Regards

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

Post by Perry525 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:58 pm

As you will understand a solid 9 inch wall is basically cold.

Being a bedroom and probably upstairs you have the water vapor produced by breathing and sweating and the water vapor that transits into the bedroom, from cooking, washing and drying things on and above radiators, because water vapour is always attracted to cold and air holding water vapour is lighter than dry air it moves into the cold walls.

However, the water vapour will always make its way through the wall to the outside where it is colder. Water vapour only causes a problem when the outside is warmer than the inside and then the water vapour can build up inside the wall on the surface of the wall facing the polystyrene.
In the Britain it would be rare for a day to be that warm and if it were you would probably have the windows open and the water vapour would exit via the window.

If your stick polystyrene backed plasterboard to the walls, water vapour will merely pass through the joints in the boards and make its way outwards.

Plaster, plasterboard and brick walls are transparent to water vapour and it moves through these quickly and easily.

Polystyrene is to all intents water proof and water vapour proof.
An inch of polystyrene will slow the movement of heat through those walls and make the room a lot nicer to use.
Do it!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:55 am