Can You skim over GRP or Fibreglass??
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ibh
Labourer
Labourer

Can You skim over GRP or Fibreglass??

by ibh » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:51 am

Hi there,

I'm a newbie to this site so please be gentle with me!

I trying to find out if it is possible to skim coat a GRP ceiling? It's a long story behind the ceiling being GRP but i'm looking to do this as opposed to plasterboarding it because it is a vaulted ceiling and there are a lot of joints and awkward sections.

The surface is a little bit glossy but not too bad. It can also be sanded back a little if needs be.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:23 pm

Hi ibh,
Firstly, Why would you have a GRP ceiling?
I can't imagine what you have and depending on the thickness and the flexibility of the GRP, i'd be making judgements that could be wrong. if you used a good bonding agent I should think it was possible. But could you not just paper or paint over.
Regards
KB

ibh
Labourer
Labourer

by ibh » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:49 am

I could paint over the GRP but unfortunately one of the problems with it is that the ceiling is in a number of sections and the joints between these sections have been impossible to cover / hide. So i was thinking that i could fill them sand them back and then skim it. That way I would not have to spend days trying to perfect the various joints.

The reasons for having a GRP ceiling are many and varied. It is a new idea that I am working on and GRP is the most suitable product, so I am hoping to persevere with it.
I might try and get an off-cut of GRP and use a bonding agent and then skim it, just to see how it works.

Thanks for the help KB.

Cheers

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:27 pm

have you tried gel coat to hide joints?

tucny
Ganger
Ganger

by tucny » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:25 pm

Fibreglass is usefull stuff. You can do pretty much anything with it. sanding however is not good due to the chemicals that will be in the dust posing a health risk. have you thought of fixing a plasterboard with cavity drainage membrane plasterplug?

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:40 am