DIY Doctor

Cannot decided what type of all I have!

Postby mbe » Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:08 pm

Newbie here without a clue. Thought I had normal plasterboard/stud wall between my kitchen and living room. I purchased the correct screws/spring type fittings for plasterboard but now that I have dmade many holes into the kitchen wall, I cannot find a gap behind the plasterboard. I can only describe it as a very thick piece of plasterboard about 2-3 "! Its definately plasterboard as its so easy to make a hole in and I'm not hitting wood. When I've made the hole, I can see a section of white then grey then white then I come through on the other side. Any ideas?
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:59 am


Gorilla Glue heavy duty grab adhesive

Postby kbrownie » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:01 pm

Hi mbe,
How old is the house you live in?
I ask this question because they used to put what was called a plank board inside/between the plasterboards on stud partion walls. The plank was about an inch thick, sometimes it would be double boarded with either the plank or the outer boards. This was for sound-proofing, insolation etc. There was not a lot of timber/steel stud work in these types of wall, usually along top and bottom and up both sides. This was very popular in the late 70's to mid 90's. This could be what you have in your house.
Regards KB
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 1995
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:36 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics