cant get water into my raidiators
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Pharaoh
Labourer
Labourer

cant get water into my raidiators

by Pharaoh » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:47 am

We had some trapped air inside our raidiators so we have been bleeding them for weeks. Some air comes out but the central heating keeps gurggling. Called out Scottish gas and they serviced our central heating "no fault found"

So I installed a water new pump. Still gurgling in the system

I decide to put some cleaner into the small expansion tank in the loft, read the Instructions and it said to remove some water from the raidiators then add the solution into the small tank.

Tied off the ball cock in the tank so it wouldnt fill back up as i emptied some water from the raidiators.

Took out 3 basins of water from the downstairs raidiator, went back to the loft and noticed that the water level had not dropped inside the tank.

Thought that was strange. Tried putting a plumbers mouse into the pipe that leads from the tank to see if it was blocked. Couldnt get it to go all the way down to many bends, didnt solve the prolem. Water level still didnt not drop inside the tank.

So tried to fire up the central heating but it cuts out, can only imagine that its because i have drained a lot of water from the system.

Have i found the problem by accident, is there an air lock in the pipe that comes from the tank?

I put a hose pipe into to pipe inside the tank to hopefully flush it through, didnt work. Tried the mouse again didnt work.

Took the pump out and opened the stop vavle that stops the water gushing out when you change the pump, no water came out. traced this pipe back and its the pipe that comes from the tank.

So why is know water comming out of the tank through the pipe, which filles up the raidiators?

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:47 pm

Check the "tee" where the feed from the F&E tank joins the primary circuit. Its prolly blocked with magnetite. Cut out the offending pipework and replace.

Cheers

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Steve the gas » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:11 am

'cos its blocked at some point or one hell of an airlock

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:48 pm