DIY Doctor

cap off gas fire

Postby derby ram » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:32 pm

Hi, I have an old gas fire in dining room that I want to dispose of. Problem is there is no iso valve. Can I turn off gas, remove fire and install a valve and cap off, I am a mechanical engineer and very competant. Corgi man wants £80 to do it (15 minute job). If I can do it myself what are the best fittings to use, Compression/Solder ring ?
derby ram
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:52 pm


Simply Build It

Postby Steve the gas » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:45 am


Only a corgi should do this, but,as you say your competant (and thats what HSE say) Gas off and compression stop end IF its accessable.But you need to test before and after, so back to a corgi me thinks.
Steve the gas
Rank: Site Agent
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 780
Joined: Sun May 04, 2008 7:07 am

Postby TheDoctor5 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:58 am

If you type the key words of your question into our search box to the left of the site you may find the answer is already posted or is in the DIY projects section of the website. Every post goes through a monitoring process and using the search box may speed up your answer.
Posts: 1382
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:17 am

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics