Capillary action on low pitched roofs.
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
aleco71
Labourer
Labourer

Capillary action on low pitched roofs.

Post by aleco71 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:54 pm

Can anyone tell me what type of roof tiles I need to stop capillary action.
I'm having an extension built, it's going to have a pitched roof, but it's only going to have a low pitch, 20 degrees, maybe less. The architect told me I might a type of tile that will not cause a capillary action. Can you tell me what the perticulars of such a tile are please.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:26 pm

aleco71,
Both Marley Melbourne and Redland Cambrian artificial slates can be used on such a low pitched roof.
end

pmgltd
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by pmgltd » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:09 pm

All roof tiles are designed to suit a certain roof pitch, and you must ensure that the tile which you use is suitable for the pitch of the roof which you have constructed. All tile manufacturers produce a range of tiles to suit differing pitches. Some tiles, such as the Forticrete Centurion can be laid below 12degrees.

The type of tile which you opt for may be governed by the requirements of your planning approval (assuming you needed planning approval for the extension). The planners may have placed a condition on the approval to ensure that the materials in the extension match those of the existing house.

Another approach would be to use an untile waterproofing system, such as Ondutile from Onduline, which could allow almost any tile type to be used on the roof, as the onduline system acts as the primary waterproofing layer.

Hope this helps

TheDoctor5

Post by TheDoctor5 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:18 am

If you type the key words of your question into our search box to the left of the site you may find the answer is already posted or is in the DIY projects section of the website. Every post goes through a monitoring process and using the search box may speed up your answer.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:10 pm