Capping a 2 Way Light Switch and Swapping for Remote Light
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
michele_mathers
Labourer
Labourer

Capping a 2 Way Light Switch and Swapping for Remote Light

by michele_mathers » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:07 pm

I have a 2 way light switch on my stairs so you can turn it on or off if you are at the bottom or top.

The switch at the top of the stairs is really awkwardly positioned on the wall so I have covered it up with a mirror and now can't use it.

Downstairs I want to replace the switch plate with a new one that has a remote I can keep upstairs.

The new switch plate only connects to 2 of the 3 wires so I have the wire that connects the two switches going spare. Is there a way to cap that wire safely so I can still use the new switch plate, and what do I need to do it?

Any help would be appreciated muchly

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Capping a 2 Way Light Switch and Swapping for Remote Light

by Mr White » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:01 pm

Single piece of connector strip or a single wago connector (Single piece of connector strip will be cheaper).

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Capping a 2 Way Light Switch and Swapping for Remote Light

by ericmark » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:46 pm

easySWITCH do a version that will work with two way lighting, but most expect you to remove the two way light before fitting the light switch able to use a remote.

Although it may work with just two wires and the third put in a connector block to make is save, should anyone flick the switch behind the mirror in the future you could have forgotten by then what you have done. Same of course goes for batteries in the easySWITCH you know it has them when you fit it, but will you remember two years latter when it fails.

I use Energenie and that only uses two wires, since works with PC, smart phone and remotes it would not really be a good idea to have it work as a two way switch.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:42 am