Capping End of Electric Wires After Removing Light
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ID015
Apprentice
Apprentice

Capping End of Electric Wires After Removing Light

by ID015 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:10 pm

There are some electric wires I'd like to tidy up but I would like some advice before I do so.

I have two wires joined by a terminal block powering a light outside. Because I would like to remove the light, it will leave the wires exposed, what's the safest way to cap these wires? Once isolated, the cables will be inside a trunking.

Can I leave just the terminal block connected one way?
Thanks

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Capping End of Electric Wires After Removing Light

by kbrownie » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:23 am

Best method is to find where the origins of supply comes from, for this part of the circuit and make it dead at that point. This could be at the switch, a light fighting, a junction box or a fuse connection. If this cannot be done and the cable is not isolated, they must be terminated safely within a suitable (for the environment) insulated enclosure. So if these cable ends are to remain outside they must be in a correctly IP rated enclosure for that location. It is also important that this enclosure is not buried or hidden, as the cables are still live and it required they must be identified as so.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:01 am