Capping of gas pipe near wood burning stove
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

1 post   •   Page 1 of 1
phunkinutz
Labourer
Labourer

Capping of gas pipe near wood burning stove

Post by phunkinutz » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:25 pm

I have a gas fire in the style of a wood burning stove which sits in a fire place on a solid tiled block of concrete.

In my push to be a bit more green I decided to buy a wood burning stove :) . I understand that the gas pipe has to be capped off when the gas stove is removed but how far from the new wood burner should it be. It’s currently at the rear coming out of the floor around 150mm from the nearest point of the stove. The gas stove I have is around 8kw and the wood burner I am getting is around 7kw so the amount of heat near the pipe should be around the same or if not less. From what I have read the main concern is the solder melting and soot corroding the copper. If i were to insulate the pipe from the heat and protect it from the soot would it be ok. I would have to rip up my laminate flooring, which not only would take daze I know from previous experience it wouldn’t go down the same plus it under the skirting boards so they would have to come off as well and then the plaster would come off!!! You can see my reasoning behind not wanting to do the safest or most obvious thing I.e capping of the gas at a different point however the only place I can find to do this would be at the rear of the fire place.

1 post   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:51 pm