Caravan Internal Spotlights
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
lad175
Labourer
Labourer

Caravan Internal Spotlights

Post by lad175 » Sun May 06, 2012 6:48 pm

Hi...I've just purchased a 1991 caravan which had 2 very old internal spotlights below 2 of the cabinets and I have purchased 2 new 240V lights to replace them. I've removed the old lights of which only 2 wires were making them work (1 green and 1 white). The new lights have a Live & Neutral, but also have an earth wire, but after connecting the wires up and leaving the earth (due to there being no earth wire to connect it to) the lights are not working after connecting the caravan to the mains.

I would be most grateful if anyone could advise where I might be going wrong and if I need to find a way to earth them!

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Caravan Internal Spotlights

Post by ericmark » Tue May 08, 2012 8:26 pm

First question has to be what voltage were the old lights? Green was always ignition fused and white ignition non fused neither are used with mains (low voltage) wiring in the UK although they are I think in USA.

I would guess the lights are 12v (extra low voltage) not 230v and they are not the same as house 12v as designed to run 11v to 14v DC not spot on 12vAC as used in a house.

This would also explain lack of earth wires.

Many caravans have a mains to 12v unit which will charge a battery and run water pump, lights etc. Some will replace battery others need a battery connected.

Often there is a special supply to fridge.

Caravan wiring often used white as earth although green in that case would be for indicators think RHS but not sure on that it's a long time ago.

lad175
Labourer
Labourer

Post by lad175 » Wed May 09, 2012 6:29 am

Hi....The original (and very old) spotlights were 12v and the ones we purchased are 240v. They didn't work using just the caravan battery or when we plugged the caravan into the mains using an adaptor. I was adevised that they should still work, although a bit dimmer, but no luck and all I can think is that we need to buy 12v lights!

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by ericmark » Wed May 09, 2012 4:02 pm

No a 230v lamp will not work on a 12v system. Also the 12v spot lamps in a caravan are NOT the same as 12v spots in a house. As well as being 14v not 12v they are also lower wattage. Caravan normally around 10W in a house around 50W you could burn out wiring fitting house type.

lad175
Labourer
Labourer

Post by lad175 » Thu May 10, 2012 6:15 am

Thank you for your help....the caravan just has a green and a white wire when I removed the old lights, so would you suggest that I just purchase 12v caravan spotlights from a caravan supplier or ebay, then hopefully I can wire them up and they should work!!

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by ericmark » Thu May 10, 2012 1:17 pm

That would seem the likely way. Of course we have never seen it so only going by what you say. You may find the new LED lights better.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:24 am