Career change
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

11 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Add
Apprentice
Apprentice

Career change

by Add » Thu May 17, 2007 9:26 pm

Hi

I am currently in full time employment and want to totally change my career direction and eventually become a self employed electrician (initially domestic installer).

Last September I enrolled on a Part P( prior to this I had very limited electrical knowledge) course at the local college. I am due to finish this course at the end of June. The course has taught me a lot however I do not feel confident enough to start house bashing ! I have signed up to do the 2330 starting in September and plan to do the 17th edition wiring regs and eventually 2391 ( Testing and Inspecting) probably in 2008.

My problem is how do I gain the necessary experiance I need while holding down a full time job ( still gotta pay the bills)?The real world is totally different to working on a wooden board in a college.

When I am able to start charging I will do the NCQ level 3 and I believe at this point I will have the qualifications to be classed as an electrician.

I also need to know when I should get registered with someone like NICEIC or NAPIT. As if i do it too soon without the correct experiance I may fail the assessment and end up wasting money. ( I believe I could approach them after completing my Part P course and become a domestic installer if I agree to take wiring regs etc within the next 12 months).

Any advise on how to make the transition from my current situation to becoming a self employed electrician would be well recieved.

Regards

Add

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Fri May 18, 2007 2:52 pm

Hi Add, this is a problem because you can do upto lvl 2 NVQ as part timer but you can't do final year on to lvl 3 unless already employed in the electrical trade & to get full AM2 leckie ticket from JIB to do other electrical work you need it.
A classic 'Catch 22' if ever there was!
Better colleges do try to find jobs in trade during your second year of lvl 2 course, but no guarentees, B.W. SPARX

Add
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Add » Sat May 19, 2007 8:43 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the reply,

Their must be other people who have previously been in the same situation I find myself in.

Can anyone shed light on how they got round this catch 22 ? I am very determind and will find a way some how, any advise is welcome.

Add

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sat May 19, 2007 9:47 pm

Sorry I can't be more helpfull ADD, as I did 5year apprenticeship from 1963- 1968 when it was the only way into trade, had to go 'back to school' every few years to keep up to date qualifications. Just had my NAPIT part P annual grilling Monday, it doesn't get any easier with age!!!!!!!!!!
Maybe someone knows how to do it easier, I watch this post in anticipation, as My annual ECA + NAPIT fees come to over a grand a year!!!
regards & best wishes to a tryer, SPARX

bazza
Ganger
Ganger

by bazza » Sat May 19, 2007 10:12 pm

[quote="Add"]Hi,

Thanks for the reply,

Their must be other people who have previously been in the same situation I find myself in.

Can anyone shed light on how they got round this catch 22 ? I am very determind and will find a way some how, any advise is welcome.

Add[/quote]hi add had same problem but with plumbing i spent 3 years gaining my nvq level 3 and training for my acs = gas qual. then waz told i had to hav 6 months experience with a corgi regested firm bfore i cud take my final gas test rang every firm but no joy and i cant even find a job plumbing altho fully qualified it seems they only employ the younger people as im 38 and went into plumbing as a career change i finished college 2 years ago and still in my old job hope this helps and hope u hav better luck then me all the best bazza

willU2
Apprentice
Apprentice

by willU2 » Mon May 21, 2007 2:31 pm

ADD,

I'm in a similar situation, from what I ve found out so far is getting Part P and C & G Testing & Inspection are musts, this is where you should be putting your efforts.

Contact local electricians "free labour in exchange for knowledge" at weekends? I contacted thirty or so & got 1 offer, but that's all you need. Personnaly I didn't go for companies that aren't reg with an approved association.

Also set out what U want to do in the near future. If you are confident in domestic installation, sockets & lights, stick with that until you feel ready to move on. If things are good, there's nothing stopping you employiing a "more experienced" lekkie.

Go back through some of the "old" posts on the site, you'll see you are not alone.

ATB

Jeffmo
Ganger
Ganger

by Jeffmo » Tue May 22, 2007 2:03 pm

Add , just a thought , get your part p and 2391 then set up a leckie company and employ yourself , you are then in the trade and can do level 3 dada ! magic hows that . At least that way you can have full knowledge wat your apprentice is doing , i know it sounds funny and i am having a laugh but ,you will be in the trade . Think about it .Cheers mate and good luck , im doing exactly wat your doin mate and nowts gonna stop me .Jeff

Add
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Add » Tue May 22, 2007 6:14 pm

Thanks to everyone for the advise,

I will sign up for the 2330 to start in September which I will do at the local college in the evening. I will then go on and do the 17th edition wiring regs and 2391 late 2008. This will be in addition to the Part P course I am due to complete at the end of June this year.

I will then set up my own business doing work in the evenings and at weekends until I am in a position financially to give up my current job. When my business is set up I will then start NVQ level 2. I am not sure what AM 1/ 2 is - do I need it ?

Hopefully while I am doing the 2330 my confidence will grow and as suggested above I may be able to get some work experiance with a local electrician. I will then register with either Napit or NICEIC so I can certify my own work as a domestic installer.

Just a thought, what exactly do I need to do to star my business ??? Is it just a case of starting to advertise and taking on work?

All advise and success stories will be welcome.

Add

Jeffmo
Ganger
Ganger

startup

by Jeffmo » Wed May 23, 2007 4:21 pm

you will get the full advice from Sparks probably but you must get insurance , very important and if you register with say niceic they require it too . Not too much to worry about setting up but take advice from an accountant or your bank manager and remember work doesn't stop when you put your tools away . good luck Jeff .( i would initially gear yourself up for domestic installer course , 16th edition and 2391 .2391 ensures you have the knowledge and application of what you are actually doing. No substitue for experience but if you are taught well and do everything by the book , then yes you might be slow but you won't be a fast cowboy )

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Wed May 23, 2007 8:20 pm

Good advice from Jeffmo, don't forget part P is only for domestic work, to set up doing commercial/industrial you need knowledge of the electricity at work act but don't have to register with anybody! Mainly need 2391 inspection & test so you can confidently issue test sheets for every job, Good Luck SPARX

Add
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Add » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:10 am

:D :D

Just a quick update :

Have recently passed the part P Domestic Installers course at the local college ( took 9 months, not one of the 5 day courses you sometimes see).

Have learnt hell of a lot on the course, previously could only wire a plug and I came unstuck changing a light fitting.

During the practical exam in a bay was able to dress a consumer unit, install a two way lighting circuit, ring main with a fused spur and test/ inspect the work using the appropriate forms and testing gear. Very proud of myself!!!!

Okay had a few problems testing, but was able to get it sorted.

I have been accepted for the 2330 starting in September and I am looking foreword to it.

Any advise on the 2330 ???

It was previously suggested to offer services free of charge to gain experiance with a local registered firm. Any advise on the best way to approach (will my domestic installer part p qualification hold any weight) ?

Also I believe to complete year 3 of the 2330 and to do NVQ level 3 you need to be in the trade. Would working voluntary at the weekend be classed as being in the trade????

Any new advise appreciated.

Must say reading forums like this are very interesting and provide good info.

bye for now

Add

11 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:05 pm