Carpetting Bowed Floorboards
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
markj
Labourer
Labourer

Carpetting Bowed Floorboards

by markj » Wed May 02, 2007 12:43 pm

Hi

I am currently decorating our living room and we are planning on fitting a new carpet once complete, short pile, maybe natural fibres, but that's not really important to my question!!

We finished our dining room a few months ago and when the carpet was laid the floorboards were visible (there is an amount of bowing in them), so a thicker underlay (the thickest!) was laid and although not completely resolved the issue was significantly reduced.

So. I'm thinking, whilst I'm at the early stages of decorating the lounge is it worth hiring a floor sander and giving the floor a light sand to remove any floorboard bowing (there is a bit)? The only other option I can think of is to cover with hardboard, but I've always thought that's a bodge job and probably no cheaper!

Before anyone suggests it, we DON'T want a stripped floor in our lounge, we like MODERN style carpet!!!

Any help or advice gratefully received!

Regards Mark

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Wed May 02, 2007 6:43 pm

Not possible to say if sanding will work Mark as it depends entirely on the extent of the deformation of the boards. Hardboard, or 6mm plywood, is definately not a bodge job, its universally used to levell "untamed" floors.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:20 am