Cast iron fire place fitting
Information, help and advice on many gas related subjects from gas fires to domestic appliances

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
rmc03
Labourer
Labourer

Cast iron fire place fitting

Post by rmc03 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:25 pm

Hi, I have bought a cast iron tiled insert and wood surround fire. The reccomended opening size from the manufacturer was 560 tall. From reading installation websites this seems too small.

.victorianfires.co.uk/fitting_a_fireplace/cast_iron_insert_with_wooden_mantel.html

When I put the fire to the hole ive made in the chimney (class 1)the lintle only comes to just across the top bulb area of the fire, whereas in the installation guide the lintle is inserted accross the top of the insert.

Do i need to make the hole bigger and move the lintle to the top of the insert? Also does the insert have to be against brick as apposed to plaster?

I intend to fit the firemyself while getting the local Corgi guy in for the gas connection.

Cheers

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Thu May 01, 2008 3:21 pm

I would get a CORGI registered installer out, most of them will have a bricklayer that works with them.

Let them do the whole job, then you know it's right. If you do it and it's wrong the CORGI engineer wont connect the gas supply to the fire, and you'll have to start again. If fitted incorrectly it could be fatal for you and your family.

The lintel is there to take the weight of the chimney, and is crucial it is installed properly. If it is a wooden lintel it will need replacing, for obvious fire hazard.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:16 pm