Cast Iron Gas Fireplace
Information, help and advice on many gas related subjects from gas fires to domestic appliances

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
kamerano
Labourer
Labourer

Cast Iron Gas Fireplace

Post by kamerano » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:55 am

Hello All,

I have just moved in a new house, which has a new type gas fire. It is a cast iron fireplace with a coal affect living gas flame fire. My question is that the gas pipe which connects to the gas fire is fed through the cast iron ( a hole was drilled for this) , when i use the gas fire the cast iron gets hot (of course)....as the gas pipe touches the cast iron (due to the drilled hole) it gets hot.....

Is this dangerous ?......Are gas pipes supposed to get hot ?....

It's a copper pipe by the way...

I know this makes me sound stupid but it's good to know........

I REALLY WOULD APPRECIATE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regan
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Regan » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:00 pm

if the cast iron was purpose drilled for the gas pipe at the factory there shouldn't be any cause for concern - there shouldn't be too much to worry about either way, as long as it there are no issues as far as products of combustion are concerned (is it a flueless fire?)

kamerano
Labourer
Labourer

Post by kamerano » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:53 pm

[quote="Regan"]if the cast iron was purpose drilled for the gas pipe at the factory there shouldn't be any cause for concern - there shouldn't be too much to worry about either way, as long as it there are no issues as far as products of combustion are concerned (is it a flueless fire?)[/quote]

Many Thanks for the reply.....it is a open coal affect fire....As you mentioned purpose built....i have made enquries and came to find out the hole does not be factory drilled....the installer had drilled it themselve....

The fire looks good overall ?....does the gas pipe meant to get hot when the fire is lit......?

thanks

kamerano
Labourer
Labourer

Post by kamerano » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:57 pm

Thanks for the reply...

The gas fire is a open coal effect fire.....Also upon making enquiries i found out that the hole was drilled by the installer themselve ??...

Is the gas pipe suppose to get hot when the fire is lit....

thanks

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:13 pm

There are many situations where gas pipes are exposed to heat. Gas pipes are very close to back boiler units and the heat doesn't seem to be a problem.

The best example I can think of is the gas hob. You can no longer use a flexible rubber hose to connect to a gas hob, that is above a oven. This is because the rubber hose can melt. By law now, it has to be rigid fix - copper pipe. This is because the heat would have to be extreme to damage the copper pipe. Much more than a domestic appliance could produce.

Think about soldering plumbing fittings, the pipe gets very hot, but the condition of the pipe doesn't deteriorate. the pipe is still water/gas tight.

Hope this helps.

kamerano
Labourer
Labourer

Post by kamerano » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:46 am

Many Thanks !!!!!!!

It certainely has made my mind rest...

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:24 pm