cat flap in upvc door
information and advice on general building topics, builders merchants, problem builders, DIY Stores etc....

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
colinkick
Labourer
Labourer

cat flap in upvc door

Post by colinkick » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:21 am

I am after some guidance on replacing a door panel in a upvc door. We have just bought a house and one of the exterior upvc doors has a cat flap in it. I am led to believe that replacing the panel is relatively straight forward. My questions are, is it a straight forward job that I could undertake myself, where can I get a replacement panel and how much should I expect to pay roughly.

I appreciate any help
cheers.

greedypebbles
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by greedypebbles » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:00 pm

I have replaced the centre part of a PVC door, albeit it was a few years ago now.

I remember being told and reading how simple it is - take out the old piece and fit in the new piece, and I'm a fairly handy DIYer so went for it. In the end it was a very, very difficult job. It took me a day to do it and it never looked right. Firstly the new piece was shiny white, the rest of the door was 10 years old - you dont notice until the two are together. Secondly with the best will and careful effort in the world I found it absolutely impossible to avoid little marks and dinks on the door as I dismantled it.

I know it seems like a fantastic solution to the cat flap problem, but I would think carefully about it. Its not as easy as you think.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:56 am