Caustic Soda in bathroom
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Tanglefoot
Apprentice
Apprentice

Caustic Soda in bathroom

by Tanglefoot » Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:31 pm

Hi, I have quite a shallow fall on the waste pipes from my shower and bath and when the bath empties it smells a bit. I was considering using caustic soda to hopefully shift any hair and give the pipes a clean, but as there isn't actually a blockage will the caustic soda solution just run straight out without doing much use?

Also I'm not sure if caustic soda is safe to use on an enamel bath and on a "stone resin" shower tray.

Any advice would be appreciated.

rose
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Caustic Soda in bathroom

by rose » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:21 pm

[quote="Tanglefoot"]Hi, I have quite a shallow fall on the waste pipes from my shower and bath and when the bath empties it smells a bit. I was considering using caustic soda to hopefully shift any hair and give the pipes a clean, but as there isn't actually a blockage will the caustic soda solution just run straight out without doing much use?

Also I'm not sure if caustic soda is safe to use on an enamel bath and on a "stone resin" shower tray.

Any advice would be appreciated.[/quote]

If it's not a blokage and only hair and soap scum build-up, there are products on the market for these problems. Wilkinsons sell a drain and pipe cleaner and I've had good success with it as I have long hair aswell as daughter.
good luck

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:27 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:56 am