Cavity Wall Ventilation and Sealing up Old Vents?
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mike18clark
Labourer
Labourer

Cavity Wall Ventilation and Sealing up Old Vents?

by mike18clark » Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:45 pm

First post here, sorry if this is in the wrong section!

We have started renovating our ~1950s house, and I am wondering what I can do about the cavity ventilation.

Work was carried out to place air bricks in the sub floor due to dampness levels during the inspection. However, there are vents into the cavities in several rooms, and a vent directly outside in the kitchen.

There is a consistent draught in the house, especially in the kitchen by the external vent, and in the living room. We have a gas fire to go into the living room, but have been advised we need another external vent at floor level to meet regulations.

Besides the vent for the gas fireplace, can the other vents be sealed up at all? Our gas bill is astronomical at the moment, and I don't want to be putting another hole in a wall causing even more of a draught!

I have attached a rough picture to illustrate locations.
Blue - external air bricks at sub floor level
Green - cavity vents into rooms
Red - external vent
Attachments
Cavity Vents.png

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Cavity Wall Ventilation and Sealing up Old Vents?

by stoneyboy » Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:26 am

Hi mike18clark,
May be worth temporarily sealing red and green ones internally and externally with pieces of ply to see if this has any detrimental effect eg condensation. If ok you can make a finished job.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:40 pm