Ceiling fan troubles
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
phasmid
Labourer
Labourer

Ceiling fan troubles

by phasmid » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:46 pm

I am trying to wire one of these in and cannot seem to get it right. The wiring coming in is the same as in the picture on the lighting page (three live, three neutral + earth connections). The neutral switch wire is correctly wired in (it has red tape on to identify it) so the problem seems to be the live connection. The fitting itself only has three connections; Live, neutral and earth. The other two neutral wires I have spliced together and sealed with insulating tape. The live connection I have tried as follows. Feed to switch wired to fitting and other two spliced together - nothing. Three spliced together and wired into fitting - still nothing.

If anyone can make sense of all of that I have one question: What am I doing wrong?
[/img]

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Ceiling fan troubles

by BLAKEY1963 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:21 am

[quote="phasmid"]I am trying to wire one of these in and cannot seem to get it right. The wiring coming in is the same as in the picture on the lighting page (three live, three neutral + earth connections). The neutral switch wire is correctly wired in (it has red tape on to identify it) so the problem seems to be the live connection. The fitting itself only has three connections; Live, neutral and earth. The other two neutral wires I have spliced together and sealed with insulating tape. The live connection I have tried as follows. Feed to switch wired to fitting and other two spliced together - nothing. Three spliced together and wired into fitting - still nothing.

If anyone can make sense of all of that I have one question: What am I doing wrong?
[/img][/quote]
PHASMID
THINK U NEED TO GET IN AN ELECTRICIAN
BLAKEY1963

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:07 pm

Hi,
First , I am not sure you understand the wiring you have at all.
the 3 lives go together but do not connect to the fan at all!
you don't have 3 neutrals! you have only 2, same as the rest of us!
the 2 Neutrals you have 'spliced & taped' need to connect to the Neutral of fan. the [red taped blk] switched live wire goes to the fans live (it's not a neutral at all).
plus earths to earth, the answer to your ? is you are dabbling with death!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:42 pm