Ceiling light 2 red 2 black
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
aquanuke
Labourer
Labourer

Ceiling light 2 red 2 black

by aquanuke » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:30 pm

Hi my dad tried to change a hallway light and did'nt bother taking note of the wiring :(

Theres 2 red 2 black 2 green

Now I would have thought the correct way would be

2 red together

1 black to brown on light

1 black to blue on light

I did'nt have a meter handy to find if one black was switched live, but tried the blacks to light terminals both ways.

Result was the same light comes on but flickers rapidly and no supply to next light. As it is when this hallway light is switched on it should also power a second light furthur along the hallway.

Thanks in advance :lol:

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:22 am

That would be the logical way to do it, as long as it was wired that way in first place! have a look inside switch that powers the light, what colour conductors have you?
KB

stevenc1603
Ganger
Ganger

by stevenc1603 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:21 pm

Are you sure that there isn't a third cable that's popped up into the ceiling void? It could be the end of the run but as other light not working I would be surprised.

Other configuration would be 2 reds to one terminal of light and 2 reds to the other but only if this light is one of a set that are switched from the same switch.

BetterConnected
Labourer
Labourer

by BetterConnected » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:08 pm

[quote="stevenc1603"]Are you sure that there isn't a third cable that's popped up into the ceiling void? It could be the end of the run but as other light not working I would be surprised.

Other configuration would be 2 reds to one terminal of light and 2 reds to the other but only if this light is one of a set that are switched from the same switch.[/quote]

It can't be the end of the run as he states the lights stop after the one mentioned is on.
How is it wired? Junction box system or cieling roses? :?:

aquanuke
Labourer
Labourer

by aquanuke » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:49 pm

Thanks was 2 red to live 2 black to Neutral

Cheers!

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:00 pm

Hi, one other possibility is that the 2 cables are in fact looped between lights in which case both reds to brn, & both blacks to blue, otherwise lights will be in series and will flicker!

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:14 pm