Ceiling Light- Have Read Forum -Still Not Working
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
picklepass
Labourer
Labourer

Ceiling Light- Have Read Forum -Still Not Working

by picklepass » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:24 pm

Hi Everyone :D ,can some one please help!!!!!!.
I have read the DIY Doctor projects and have checked and double checked, wiring and absolutely everything!!!!!
We have two lights at each end of our Living room. We have took photo's of both ceiling-rose wires and have wired them up exactly the same as the photo's, but the back light is not working and now, neither is the kitchen light. We think it is the end of the loop as it only has two grey core wires coming from it;
2 Red, which are taped up together and out of the way,
1 Black, which was connected to the blue wire, off the fitting,
1 Black (sw) which was connected to the brown wire off the fitting and 2 earth's which were connected together. I have checked the light switch and the Red is connected into L and the Black is connected into the L1 .
But still no light. I think I might have to call an Electrician in. Can anyone please help xxxxxx :cry:

ericmark

by ericmark » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:11 am

What you relate seems correct but I look at "2 Red, which are taped up together and out of the way" I would hope these are also in some junction block so have a positive connection?
You also say "neither is the kitchen light" yet what you relate to you quite rightly say seems end of line I therefore wonder if the fault is in kitchen lamp and if you have pulled on a cable disconnecting it in kitchen ceiling rose.
I use a meter but one can use the light itself to test. With some chock block connector strip to insulate wires and connect you could try connecting the pair of reds to the brown on the new lamp that will bypass switch and at least show if you have power to the lamp. If you had not said "neither is the kitchen light" I would say to look at the other lamp that is working. If the reds are not connected in a good connector block at the lamp that is working that could cause your problem.
Basically I suspect a bad connection rather than wire in wrong place. Please be safe always work with power off and put a connector block on any wire not connected even if only for few mins test. Think you would be better calling an electrician but I am sure you know that without me telling you.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:07 pm