DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Ceiling light not wired correctly

Postby Biver » Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:54 am

Hi all,

I've replaced a ceiling light and, even though I think I've wired it correctly, it isn't turning on. All wires are tightly screwed in.

When I removed the old light, I took a video of the wires but several of them had come loose as I unscrewed the body so I am only really guessing where each wire should go now.

It's a two-gang switch, both one way, and the other light in the room is working fine.

Wiring_1.jpg
Photo of the wiring without annotations

Wiring_2.jpg
Photo of the wiring with the wires that come from the same wire coloured in their groups

Wiring_3.jpg
Photo of the wiring with each wire identified by a letter

If anyone can help me rearrange the wires into the correct configuration I would be really grateful. From what I've read, I've got the correct number of wires (three) going into both the live and earth ports. However, most wiring diagrams show two wires going into the neutral port but I only have one.

Thanks a lot in advance
Biver
Progress to next rank:
0%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby chriscba » Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:51 pm

Move the black wire with red sleeve from N to L ( this is the switch wire)

Move the 3 reds together to the spare block on their own(this is the live loop to the next light)

Move the 3 blacks to the N block(these are the Neutrals)
chriscba
Progress to next rank:
38.7%

Postby Biver » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:57 am

Chriscba, you are a legend! Thanks a lot, pal, the light's working and you've saved me a fortune
Biver
Progress to next rank:
0%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!