ceiling light: so many wires!
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
satilaboy
Apprentice
Apprentice

ceiling light: so many wires!

by satilaboy » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:22 pm

Hi,

This is my first post and I am a complete novice. My house is about 7-8 years old.

I am about to fit my old ceiling light as the current one has blown (melted!) but I am slightly confused as there are so many wires.

a friend fitted my last light and i retrieved a small 3 section connector block when the old light was removed.

coming from the celiing are the following wires:

> a thick yellow/green cable (which is connected to a single connector block)
> a single yellow wire
> 3 red wires (twisted together)
> 2 black/1 blue (twisted together)

I believe some of the wires relate to an outside light, and these are operated by a double switch on one wall which should operate the ceiling light and outside light respectively.

there is also a double switch on another wall which operates the ceiling light and kitchen light.

the light i am going to fit has three wires (blue, brown, green/with slim yellow lines. there is also an earth wire.

As i said i'm a novice but I can't afford an electrician (especially for something which should be relatively easy to do).

Just wondered if it is just a case of...

connecting the three wires from the light to each of the three spaces on the connection block ...

the earth to space on the opposite side of the single connection

not sure where to go from here.

please help

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:21 pm

Hi not very clear, but I think you need to put 3 reds in spare block not connected to your light, yellow is sw. wire to go in with the brown of light, blue of light goes to blk/blue bunch of Neutrals, the green/ yellow striped is the fittings Earth which goes to your 'large ' earth which is in fact sleeving over 2 bare earth wires one from each cable, if still unsure electricians arn't that dear, & lighting ain't always that easy!!!

satilaboy
Apprentice
Apprentice

by satilaboy » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:33 pm

thanks for the info. worked exactly as you said it. :D

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:23 am