Ceiling Light Wiring
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
wb973
Labourer
Labourer

Ceiling Light Wiring

by wb973 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:10 pm

Hello,
I have bought a new lamp, took off the previous light bulb which was connected with a loop in the rose.

From the ceiling I have two cables with 3 wires each (two blacks, two reds, two earthings), one coming from the switch, one from the mains.

I can't seem to figure out how to connect it correctly as the new lamp (IKEA) doesn't have a loop but simply three points (N, L, E).

Thanks!

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:18 am

You need the forth loop connector normally one can change the block to 4 way. This is the problem with the cheap imports they are not designed for our wiring system.
The ceiling rose is a duel purpose both holds the lamp and works as a junction box. If you need to replace then if replacement is not duel purpose you need two separate items.
The junction box should be accessible if it uses screws as vibration can cause screws to become lose but there are special maintenance free types with push in cable connectors spring loaded these can be inaccessible.
All electrical boxes need a tool or key for access putting a junction block in any box with a screw holding it closed will do but following the rules wrapping the junction block with tape will not comply as it can be removed without a tool.
However some times a little common sense is required and as long as any one at a later date removing a floor board and feeling around is not likely to touch bare wires most people will use tape.
I have heard it said you need a knife to remove self amalgamating tape so that's OK. Clutching at straws really but I will with all electrical job do a risk assessment. How likely is it that it will be assessed from above. And of course hard to remove floor boards without a tool.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:03 pm

Connect your earths to the 'E' terminal
Get a plastic connection block and connect your two reds in to that(this will become your live loop, feeding a live to the switch)
Then you should have a black that comes from your switch (this should be sleeved red and is your switch live) this will terminate at the 'L'
Then the other black to the 'N' terminal.

wb973
Labourer
Labourer

Thanks

by wb973 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:01 pm

Thanks all.

In the end I had thought about it and had done exactly what kbrownie said even before he said that (hehehe) and it works.

Ericmark: thank you for your answer but with all respects I wouldn't define cheap imports whatever is used in all other countries.
Sometimes I think the requirements in Britain are obsolete and unnecessarily strict (in bathrooms, for example).

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:07 pm