ceiling light with fan
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
davetheref
Labourer
Labourer

ceiling light with fan

by davetheref » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:50 am

Hello,
I am trying to install a down light with a fan attached. The fan and light have 4 input terminals and I have 3 wires. I have a Red Live, Black nuetral and an Earth cable. How do I fix this?
Dave.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:51 am

Hi, if fan has own pull cord attached then simply fit a link wire between the 2 live terms in fitting ,(+N&E to their terms,) only prob.-no light on -no fan!!!
If original wiring only has one tw/e and it is downstairs you are stuck with this, it might be that there is a connector above ceiling with permanent live available but would need checking. If so then fan could be fed from that & would then be independant of light.
If upstairs with loft access then maybe easier to alter, more info pls,
regards Sparx

davetheref
Labourer
Labourer

by davetheref » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:10 pm

Hi Sparx,
Thanks for the reply, I had tried the wire across the two connections before i posted and found as you said no light no fan but the light was really dim and eventually blew.
The light is situated in an upstairs bed room in a fairly modern house < 12 years old. I can see that it is connected in a serial to the bathroom and the main trip cover all upsatirs lights. would it be easier to put it in the bin?
Davie.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:29 pm

Hi agn, yes but you have paid for it now!!
If as you say you can trace wiring then it should be quite easy to pick up feed for fan, but thats easy for a leckie to say!
depends how much you want fan now Autumn is nearly upon us,
try looking at 'projects' section as to how your lights are wired.
the feed might loop on from bathroom light but where is the cable from bedroom switch? it must go either to your light or a junction box, there will be a permanant there as well as the switched live.
have another look in loft amongst that loverly 'candifloss' insulation, go on you know you want to- I have to - why should I be the only one scratching like a hound.....
regards Sparx

davetheref
Labourer
Labourer

by davetheref » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:26 am

Thanks again bud, guess what I'll be doing this weekend. My daughter needs the thing so I'll be a good Dad and get scratching.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:17 pm