Ceiling Lighting Problem
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Arcaned
Labourer
Labourer

Ceiling Lighting Problem

by Arcaned » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:59 pm

Hi guys, iv recently had a problem with my ceiling lighting and was hoping iv come to the right place for some help and advice.

Iv had the lights up for approximately 6 years now without any problems but a couple of days ago they just wouldn't switch on. Iv only just found the time to get the lighting unit down to examine and noticed 2 wires hanging loose.

Iv had a look at the unit but can't find anywhere the loose wires could have come from so now im slightly baffled. From the light unit there are 2 wires (blue and brown) which go to a connector block. From the ceiling there are 5 wires.

1 of the wires (grey) goes to the brown on the lighting unit.
2 of the wires (black) goes to blue on the lighting unit.
the other 2 wires are hanging freely and come from the same cabling as the black but have a small strip of green insulation round them.

I would be very grateful if someone can understand the situation and can help out. I can also provide a few photos if needed. Thank you in advance

Ant

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:36 pm

Hi Arcaned,
Right!
I'm guessing that the two loose cables with the green tape on are reds. Which will be your incoming live and live to the switch, these should be connected together but not with green insulation tape. but in a plastic connection block.
Be safe and isolate electric before you carry out any work.
Good Luck
KB

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:41 pm