Ceiling Lighting
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Caestar
Labourer
Labourer

Ceiling Lighting

by Caestar » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:09 am

Hello and thanks for looking. This is my first post here and hopefully not my last.

I have a house in the south of France and am putting up a ceiling light. The feed to the light is from a RCD and like the french way is a spur. My problem is that i want to be able to control the light with 3 switches. One switch downstairs, one switch at the head of the stairs and one switch in a room. Is there a way that i can wire this light up and control it from any of the 3 switches.

Thanks in advance.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:52 pm

hi, yes it is called 2 way + intermediate switching, don't know which wiring method used in house, it may be like most of EU using flex conduit & single wires, or is it Brit' wired?
u need 2 X 2way (3 term.) sw. + 1 X 4 term. intermediate sw. if french back boxes used then will need to source them in France (Leroy Merlin) as fixings differ from UK boxes I could not find Intermediate sw's in Spain but maybe can in France.
wiring is interesting & easy if u have a drawing but impossible to describe, it's like explaining a spiral staircase with hands behind your back!!!
Projects section may have diagram, regards SPARX

Caestar
Labourer
Labourer

by Caestar » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:58 am

[quote="sparx"]hi, yes it is called 2 way + intermediate switching, don't know which wiring method used in house, it may be like most of EU using flex conduit & single wires, or is it Brit' wired?
u need 2 X 2way (3 term.) sw. + 1 X 4 term. intermediate sw. if french back boxes used then will need to source them in France (Leroy Merlin) as fixings differ from UK boxes I could not find Intermediate sw's in Spain but maybe can in France.
wiring is interesting & easy if u have a drawing but impossible to describe, it's like explaining a spiral staircase with hands behind your back!!!
Projects section may have diagram, regards SPARX[/quote]

Thanks very much for this. Extremely helpful of you.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:00 am