Ceiling Lights going on and off on their own!
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
MattS
Labourer
Labourer

Ceiling Lights going on and off on their own!

by MattS » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:45 am

Hello,

Hoping someone can help here.
Got a fairly new house with lowvoltage ceiling spotlights in Kitchen, Hall, landing, and main bedroom.

Once switched on however these lights will go off one at a time in different orders and sometimes all will go out on their own. Sometimes turning the switch off and on again illuminates them again. After a time some will come back on - on their own!

What the!

Helpppppppppppp

ericmark

by ericmark » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:15 pm

Its an optional extra for Christmas!!! I will guess the bulbs are too big for the transformer and the transformers are overheating and switching off. Once cool they may auto reset or switching off and on may auto reset I would try fitting smaller bulbs.
Eric

MattS
Labourer
Labourer

by MattS » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:45 am

Thanks for the reply.
I'd never thought of that.
The builders fitted 50 Watt 50mm Closed Dichroic bulbs.
I've just looked at a site that sells 35 watt and 20 watt.
Do you think going down to 35's would be enough or should I go down to 20's?
Bearing in mind there are on average 5 spotlights in each room on each switch.

Thanks again

Matt

ericmark

by ericmark » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:27 pm

Just take some out and see what happens assuming more than one bulb on each transformer.
Eric

nitro23456
Foreman
Foreman

by nitro23456 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:03 pm

when you say 'the builders fitted...', surely you can get them back to correct it if its a new house, you should be able to list your 'snags' for them to correct.

MattS
Labourer
Labourer

No Joy

by MattS » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:03 am

Eric - thanks for suggestion, but didn't work. :(

We were down to one light in the bedroom out of five so I took out 3 and it made no change.

What can't understand is that sometimes when you turn the lights on they all work and there times you come into the room and turn them on and only get 2!

Nitro - House was built 4 years ago, already had snagging long time ago. Lights have been OK until last year or so - gradually getting worse.

Any other suggestions ?

Thanks

Matt

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:15 am