Ceiling pull switch - slightly confused
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Delphinium
Labourer
Labourer

Ceiling pull switch - slightly confused

by Delphinium » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:02 pm

I'm replacing a ceiling pull switch in the utility room and I've got two cables coming in to it, both with live and neutral - both earthed. The replacement switch is just a one-way switch - confused all my other pull switches were just single cables l/n/e feeding in so make circit - easy.
Advice would be useful - like to get the last light on for Christmas.

jackhawk
Tradesman
Tradesman

by jackhawk » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:52 pm

It would seem that you have removed a double pole pull cord. If it only turns on a light then all you need to do is connect the two lives into the switch terminals, use a 10/15A chok block to connect the two "N"s together and the same for the sleeved earth wires. Ensure that there isnt other things operated on that switch coz some stuff requires a double pole for disconection.

Regards
Jackhawk

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:49 pm

hI HAVE A LOOK AT THE LIGHT, IF ONLY 1 TWIN/E CABLE THEN SUPPLY LOOPED THRO AT SW.
IF SO PUT 2 BLKS IN SPARE TERM, BLOCK, CONNECT 1 RED TO EACH TERM. IN SW,
REGARDS sparx
SORRY DIDN'T MEAN TO SHOUT, CAPS LOCK ON!!!

333rocky333
Ganger
Ganger

by 333rocky333 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:02 pm

As stated by jackhawk, it may be double pole for a reason and possibly 15/20 amp rated, it may be operating a heater ,socket, or a fan.

What is the current rating on the back of the old switch , and of the mcb which isolates it.

If it is also doing a heater or something the current rating of the new one 6 or 10amp may be too low.

If the mcb is rated 15 amp or more then you may need to replace with a D/pole again to get the higher current rating.

The switch like the cable should really be rated at least the rating of the mcb.

I once wired a house where the old lady wanted two pull cords by the bed for the tv and the radio,I used two single sockets on two 15 amp radials,the only pullswitches I could get then were 15/20amp double pole or hard to pull 32a shower switches, the old lady was well pleased .

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:57 pm