DIY Doctor

Ceiling Roses

Postby westy04 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:38 pm


Wonder if you could help.
I live in an fairly old house and the wiring is about 12 year old.
I'm about to move house and would like to take our light fittings with us.
My question is:

Am I allowed to swap the light fittings for basic ceiling roses myself. If so, do I still need to get the ceiling roses checked and obtain a certificate of some type.

I am OK with wiring/electrics.


Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:54 pm


Simply Build It

Postby sparx » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:33 pm

Hi Kevin, I would have said to comply with regs you only have to fit standard pendants so not leaving exposed live connections BUT my old dad is about to move & his buyers solicitor has said that if he does so they want a cert. from regd. part p leckie!
Regards SPARX
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 2166
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:33 pm
Location: The fifth continent.

Postby ericmark » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:13 pm

On change of ownership a house is supposed to be inspected and tested. As far as I know this has to be done by a responsible person. But I have seen nothing about it being notifiable under Part P so any spark with City & Guilds 2391 could test the house. There seems to be confusion as to whom has to get it done, person leaving or person arriving but I think this will be covered with buyers pack. Any changes would need to be done before this inspection. If the house has been viewed then unless you have already told the new owners the fitting are being changed you may not be able to change them think it comes under fixing and fitments. Unless of course the inspection finds your fitting are not compliant in some way. But you would be better asking some legal guy as what is allowed. Could cost more than their worth in legal charges be careful. As to Part P you are allowed to change like for like so that is also a little gray as if it were like for like there would be no point. I would not think as long as it is done correctly you will have problems under Part P but only you know position as far as new buyers.

Postby westy04 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:42 am

Cheers for the replies.
It's a part ex deal on a new build.
We have told the developers that we will be taking the light fittings with us and would be replacing them with a standard ceiling rose and bulb.
They haven't asked for us to do a full electical safety check. They did however get us to do a full gas safety check of all of our gas appliances.
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:54 pm

Postby kbrownie » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:41 pm

Hi all,
Throwing spanners again!
I thought that replacing or re-fixing electrical fittings such as ceiling roses was non notified work; therefore okay!
or is there something that contradicts this, that I have missed?
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 1995
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:36 pm

Postby ericmark » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:55 pm

It seems I have not made myself plan.
As to electrical regulations there is no problem. It is not a new circuit. I have looked again at Page 8 on the Part P and it says replacement and does not refer to like for like I got that wrong you are allowed under Part P.

Having said this the fact that you are selling the house may still stop you from being able to change any fitting or fixture nothing to do with being electric. Talk to estate agents or solicitor as this is not my field.

Also if the electrical inspection and test for ownership change has already been completed then all work will required full paper-work otherwise it would invalidate that inspection and test you would need minor works certs although these would not need submitting under Part P only passing on to new owner.

132.13 Documentation for the electrical installation every electrical installation shall be provided with appropriate documentation, including that required by Regulation 514.9. Part 6 and where applicable Part 7

The whole inspection and test is not under Part P and will not need the person doing it to be registered under the system. They do need to be a competent person 621.5 i.e. A person who possesses sufficient technical knowledge, relevant practical skills and experience for the nature of the electrical work undertaken and is able at all times to prevent danger and, where appropriate, injury to him/herself and others.

Although it does not say you need a C&G 2391 it would be hard to prove you are competent without one. I am not talking about doing the light fitting change here I am talking about providing paper work which needs to be passed on to new owner and if you change the fitting before the tests are done then you have no worries.

It is only the fact you say that you are selling house that prompts me to talk about testing to such lengths if it is not already on the market then there are no problems.

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics